8.28.2010

Keep Your Knife to Yourself

Backstabbing...it's not just for murder mysteries. Lately, I've found it within my own life - in my conversations, my thoughts, my words. My friend Jacalyn was talking with me about it...how can we call people our friends, and then turn around and say how they're so annoying. They're so immature. They're such a flirt. I can't stand them.

Uh. What was that?

Yeah. We have to remember in all that, that God is always watching. And like...seriously? I've done that so many times, and then feel awful about it. How, in good conscience, can we be claim to be "friends" with someone then backstab them like this? It's just wrong.

So, what to do about it...Jacalyn and I came up with three main points to think about when talking about people...(or just..talking in general.)

1. Am I honoring God with my words?
2. If the person I'm talking about was standing right here, would I want them to hear what I was saying?
3. Would I want the same thing to be said about me?

So, I for one, am really going to try to hold to these 3 things, because I want good things coming from my mouth, and not bad. I don't want to backstab anymore, and I don't want you to do that to me either, so, for all our sakes..let's keep our knives to ourselves.

1 comment:

  1. This definitely isn't something that goes away as you get older, lol. Good job Katie (and Jacalyn) for recognizing that this is wrong. This type of thing is also especially easy to do when you're part of a group that doesn't like one person.

    ReplyDelete