11.20.2010

What-everrr.

Life has its ups, life has its dips, good thing we have potato chips!

...Okay, maybe not. But it's true. Life has both ups and downs. And the downs have a tendency to get me really down.

It happened again. Something in my day didn't go my way, and because of that, I'm grumpy all day.

Is that a good habit?

No.

So what is?

I think we should have a "whatever" mindset, particularly for the small things. If one of my plans falls through, should I get all mad about it and let it completely ruin my day? No. That's where the "whatever" comes in...Okay, so that happened. Whatever. I have more time to do other things now. See? Whatever! I think if I, especially, learned to accept things as they come..I would be all-around happier, and probably more productive.

The other day, I was thinking about the phrase, "Go with the flow." I like that phrase. Not for any particularly deep philosophical reason, I've just always liked it..probably because it rhymes. But I have a habit of putting things into pictures, or relating things to experiences I've had. So, with that in mind, "going with the flow" makes me think of one time, when my family went to Hawaii, and my dad and I were pretty far out in the water, just floating, and rolling with the waves. When a wave rolled through, it was fun, and easy to roll with it until it faded out. If I tried to fight it, I would end up getting water up my nose, and would usually end up getting carried with it anyways. The point is, obviously...that it's kind of easier to go with the flow.

I think it was C.S. Lewis who said "Some people say to God, 'Let Your will be done.' and others say 'Oh alright, have it Your way.'" Either way, we're going to end up rolling with the wave. So when bad things come our way, it may be easier to accept them with a little grace.. "Whatever You want, God. Let Your will be done."

3 comments:

  1. I really like this, Katie. Good thoughts :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so true, Katie! To say whatever is to move through life with an attitude against having an attitude. Another way to use that term is through the verses: what'ever' things are true, what'ever' things are just and so forth ;) I think God gave you some good insight about this. May He continue to shine through you :) Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete