12.23.2011

You are not a super hero.

Yep. You are not a super hero, and you were never supposed to be. Sorry to be a downer...but in the context I'm thinking of, this is actually a good thing. You didn't think I would be talking about real super heroes, did you? ;)

In today's Christian culture, I think there's a lot of emphasis on evangelism, and really living out your faith. People today have really taken the salt and light thinking seriously - which is great in itself. Unfortunately, I think that emphasis is so strong, sometimes we forget to take it in stride.

I believe the sense of urgency for our culture and our world is needed: the idea that we don't know how much time we have to be here, we need to impact the world around us as much as we can, the world needs us. That's good. But...wait a second...did we forget to leave Jesus out?

Yes. Sometimes we do. I think we evangelistic Christians get so caught up in "being the light", that we forget our source of light. We begin to believe that we have to single-handedly save the world. We start to think that we're superheroes, saving the world one convert at a time!

The point is, we are not superheros, and we were never meant to save the world by ourselves. In fact, we are not the ones who save the world...we can't even save a single person - but Jesus can. In the end, we are just (sometimes) the people He uses to get His message told, and to display His love. Every single time someone gets saved, it is because of Him and His Spirit's tugging on that person's heart - the individual who "lead" that person to Christ really can't claim much of the credit.

This knowledge is a huge relief. Personally, when I read books, listen to sermons, etc, about the good works we have to do, the culture we have to impact, the people we have to save, I get a little bit stressed out - how am I going to do all this on my own, and when will it ever be enough? Luckily, God has already thought of all that, and planned it all out. Ephesians 2:10 says, "We are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do." He's already planned all the good works you and I are going to do, and when the time is right, He will lead us right to them.

Jesus was right again. When he said that "My yoke is easy to bear, and the burden I give you is light”, He meant it. He does not expect us to change the world all by ourselves. He already knows what needs to happen to fulfill His plan, and He has already set it in place. In the end, we are not superheroes, and we cannot save the world on our own, we just serve the One who can - the ultimate superhero.

1 comment:

  1. Dude, I could so pull off the superhero look. I have some pretty colorful underwear..

    ReplyDelete