11.13.2012

Walking the Talk

A couple days ago, I stumbled upon this on the Internet:




Usually I would be angered or offended by this, but this time, I agreed with it, and thought what a sad truth it spoke of. Now, there are some sound arguments that could be made against the mindset of this comic, but I think what it's trying to communicate is, sadly, what the world sees in a lot of Christians.

As illustrated in the picture, very often, the first thing that comes to peoples' minds when they think of Christianity is judgment. Hypocrisy. Hate.

Uh, wait, you mean like Christians who are supposed to be ambassadors of Christ?

How did we get like this? Don't we affectionately call our Bible God's "love letter" to us? Isn't the God we serve not just the God of love, but love itself? Doesn't our favorite verse, John 3:16, talk about how God so LOVED the world? The very same world who we judge, and who sees us as judgmental and hateful?

How have Christians come so far from showing love and living out the love of Christ..to doing the very opposite? For being known for hate? And judgment?

Now, I know the world will always have arguments against Christians. When we're not being judgmental, we're using God as a crutch, or we're just ignorant and foolish for believing what we do. Etc. However, I think the judgmental-ness of Christians is not totally unwarranted. There IS a lot of bad stuff in the world, and a whole lot of sin, and quite frankly, it is disgusting. But isn't one of our mottos, "Hate the sin, not the sinner"?

Truthfully, most of the Christians I know are really nice people. And there are lots of other Christians I don't know who are also really nice people. But I think in general, as a church and the body of Christ, we need to do a bit less judging and a bit more loving. Actually, a LOT more loving.

I think 1 Corinthians 4:20-21 sums it up beautifully: "For the Kingdom of God is not just a lot of talk; it is living by God's power. Which do you choose? Should I come with a rod to punish you, or should I come with love and a gentle spirit?" What if all the Christians chose this as their life verse, and really lived it, especially in their interactions with non-Christians? What would happen? There will always be cynics in the world who will always find some argument against us. But I think overall, there would be much less hypocrisy and much less judgment going on.

I don't want to be just the exception, but if that's how it has to begin, so be it. Lord, start with me. Let me be the Christian that loves, and doesn't judge. Spirit, work through me and in me to love and become more like Jesus!

1 comment:

  1. I don't really have anything to comment, but I wish there was a way where I can "like" this. Just so you can know I read it and agree. <3

    ReplyDelete