3.25.2012

"... But You have freed me from my chains."

People have always been really excited about freedom. People have always wanted to be free; I guess it's just something innate to human nature.

The freedom side of being a Christian is exciting to me - knowing that I am free in Christ always gives me a huge sense of joy? Carefree-ness? Um..freedom? Yeah. I like being free. And I think God likes reminding me of my freedom.

A good, simple analogy of our freedom is that we were bound in the chains of sin, but God broke those chains off. However...sometimes, whether intentionally or not, I think we pick up those chains, and put them back on. God has made us totally free from His judgment, from sin, and from death, but I guess we tend to forget that, and see those chains laying on the ground..and sometimes can't resist picking them up and putting them back on. We forget that God no longer judges us, and that it's okay if we mess up. We forget how broad His freedom and love are. This isn't something new. Paul knew how that goes. In Galatians 5:1 he says, "So Christ has truly set us free. Now make sure that you stay free, and don't get tied up again in slavery to the law." Whatever restriction or burden we feel, it's self-inflicted. God has made us totally free from sin, and free from condemnation.

We deserve to be punished for our sins, but God took that punishment, and made us a part of his family. Sorry to bring us back to square one, but sometimes I think we just need to be reminded of the basics like that. I love Psalm 116:16 - "Oh Lord, I am your servant; yes, I am your servant, born into your household. [But] you have freed me from my chains."

Honestly, we deserve to be treated as slaves and servants, or even something lower than that. But because of His grace, God brought us way up, and made us His children. Because of Jesus' sacrifice, I'm not a slave in the household anymore. I'm a master, because my Father is the King.

So why do I keep subjecting myself to the chains of condemnation? Why do I keep reminding myself of my sin?

Admittedly, it's really easy to do that: to focus on the sin, and to tell yourself that you could do better. But you know what? It is finished. God already decided a long time ago that YOU would be His child, and nothing you do is going to change that.

That's freedom.

No comments:

Post a Comment