6.22.2013

Temporarily Out of Order

So, I've been struggling. A lot. Usually I write a new post because God has given me some sort of new insight or answer to a problem I've been having, but I deal with a lot of things that I don't have fresh, new insights for. Many times, it's the same thing over and over again, and it's painful.

Life is sometimes really painful. I haven't experienced pain near what other people have - but I can still testify to the fact that everyone knows: life is painful. It's not always painful; there are really good times. Those times can last for years and years. But there are also really bad times. And those seem to go on for (it feels like) ever.

But you know what I realized as I was struggling this time? This time that has gone on for months, but has seemed to last forever?

It's temporary.

Yeah. The pain? That's temporary. Not to be replaced with more pain, but to be replaced with glory.

Mhm. Glory. And good. And Jesus.

Although life is painful, life is temporary. And the pain is temporary. If you are a born-again Christian, your pain (however extreme) is temporary. Meaning, there will be an end to it.

It seems elementary, but it's easy to forget when you're right in the middle of some struggle. Can I say it again, since it feels so good to say? This pain is temporary.

But the Bible says it better than I do. 2 Corinthians 4:16-18 says, "That is why we never give up. Though our bodies are dying, our spirits are being renewed every day. For our present troubles are small and won't last very long. Yet they produce for us a glory that vastly outweighs them and will last forever! So we don't look at the troubles we can see now; rather, we fix our gaze on things that cannot be seen. For the things we see now will soon be gone, but the things we cannot see will last forever."

"Small" troubles? That won't last "very long"? Uh, my troubles are big, and they've already lasted for long enough. That's my knee-jerk reaction to these verses. But, praise God, Paul wrote these verses because God had shown him a glimpse of the bigger picture.

Though the troubles we face in our life may last for years, that time is so short compared to the eternal glory that comes afterward. Though they may be painful beyond belief, they're small, and even 'light' compared to the enormous, beautiful, real glory that you're going to see a little later. I see it as a minute of pain for 100 years of happiness. That minute may be really intense, and it might really hurt during that time-period, but in the end, it's only a minute. And then it's over, never to return again. Because it was temporary.

In the end, life is painful. The struggle is real. But the struggle is also (one last time) temporary. You know what's not temporary? Jesus. And His glory. If you hold out in this minute of pain, you'll get to stay around for the lifetime of His glory. I'd say it's a good trade-off.

No comments:

Post a Comment