10.02.2013

Walking the Talk Pt. 2

Why do Christians have such a bad name in our society?

Actually, that's an interesting question...because Christians label themselves by the most beautiful name in the universe. And yet, our society generally views us in a very negative light. Why? Well, even when Jesus was on earth, He said that the world would hate His followers because it hates Him. But honestly, I feel like sometimes our behavior is responsible for that even so. In a previous post, Walking the Talk, I talked a lot about this, but today I have a little more to say.

I was reading Titus 2 today and came across this: "Slaves must always obey their masters and do their best to please them. They must not talk back or steal, but must show themselves to be entirely trustworthy and good. Then they will make the teaching about God our Savior attractive in every way." (Titus 2:9-10)

God wants to attract people to Him. And He wants to do that through us. But are we doing a very good job? If we're bickering and bashing all the time...how is that attractive?

I think too many Christians in our American society today have gotten so wrapped up in the "rules" and in "right and wrong" that they've forgotten what the name they wear actually stands for. Yes, in the Word, Jesus talks a lot about sin, but He also talks a lot about love. I think John 3:17 says it well, "God sent his Son into the world not to judge the world, but to save the world through him." If Jesus didn't even come to judge the world, why are we so intent on doing that? Our mission is to go out into the world and tell people about God's love, not to tell people that they're wrong.

I absolutely believe in right and wrong, and I believe that the Bible clearly outlines it. I am no advocate of watering down Scripture to make it more attractive. I believe that we should speak the truth, but that we should speak it at the appropriate time, and above all, in love. That's the point. After all, what did Jesus say the second greatest commandment was? To judge your neighbor as yourself? Nope. To love.

Please don't get me wrong, I know a lot of Christians who are really good at loving people. Not all Christians are judgmental and hateful; I know lots of wonderful Christ-followers. However, I believe that we can all do a better job of loving, and maybe if we did a better job, that would counter the judgment that comes from certain other Christians. I'll be honest: I know for me, personally, that I'm good at ignoring people I don't want to love. I'm not mean to them, but I don't love them like I should. She swears a lot and talks about all the bad stuff she does on the weekends? Nope, I'm staying away from that, not talking to her!...Really, Katie? Did Jesus ever ignore anyone because He disagreed with them? I don't think so. Whether we straight-out bash non-believers, or we just stay away from them while judging silently, the point is, we aren't loving them. And that's our mission.

I think the world has had enough judgment from us, but not enough love. Can we challenge ourselves to love the people that we disagree with? I don't mean your fellow believer who you get into theological debates with. I mean the people you really disagree with. Like the homosexual person you work with. Or the atheist you go to class with. Can we try to really love them like Jesus does? Can we, instead of getting into moral debates, or disregarding them, just be a friend to them and show ourselves to be "trustworthy and good?" Because that's how we love like Jesus loves. That's how we show the Gospel to be attractive. That's how we walk the talk.

No comments:

Post a Comment